POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Old Technology...Eiffel Tower Phone : Re: Old Technology...Eiffel Tower Phone Server Time
26 Jun 2024 13:54:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old Technology...Eiffel Tower Phone
From: Jim Charter
Date: 17 Apr 2003 12:48:44
Message: <3e9edaec@news.povray.org>
Mael wrote:
  I  just
> drop this eiffel tower (to avoid a unique centered object)

That wouldn't have bothered me.  I wonder where it comes from, this
prejudice to create a complete scene.  If the point of the work is to
model an object, and to give the viewer a priveleged view of it, why not
show it centered against an ambiguous space.  I am reminded of bird
painters who picture a species closeup and surrounded by their habitat.
  Pleasing to a point but I am left wondering how I got my face so close
to a bird hiding in some bulrushes.  Meanwhile I painter placing his
bird against an abstract screen can paint tromp l'oeil feathers and
still have the work be consistent.  Leaving out the "environment" is not
automatically a bad thing.  Thoughts?

-Jim