POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : IRTC participation shrinking? : Re: IRTC participation shrinking? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 10:11:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC participation shrinking?
From: Shay
Date: 17 Apr 2003 11:13:23
Message: <3e9ec493$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] aolcom> wrote in message

| Jim Charter:
|  You mean, I am guessing, that you are not technically qualified
|  enough to make technical comments.

Depends on the methods which the person is using. I know a lot about a
few things. 'Scene' lighting is not one of them.

| Jim Charter:
|  we differ then because I feel that content decisions are also
|  important and can involve a lot of meaning, passion, expression,
|  etc.

We don't disagree on this at all. My point is that this requires a
degree of qualification as well. Slashdolt mentioned in another thread
that he saw a famous painting of a red square and was completely unable
to judge whether or not it was a good or horrible painting of a red
square. A waterwheel picture is one of my "red square" areas. Aside from
basic ideas about composition and color, I have no idea whether a water
wheel picture is complete crap or a f__king masterpiece. I have a Monet
calendar which was given to me as a gift hanging in my office. Without
looking, I couldn't even guess what the picture for April is. I couldn't
remember the picture from March to save my life. I am blind to this type
of picture.

I have an aquarium. 125 gallons, three fish, all identical, no
decoration of any kind. I am minimalist by my nature. Being raised
around carpenters has also given me an affection for order,
craftsmanship, and complexity (not variety). *These* are the qualities
which I am best able to appreciate and objectively judge. Everything
else is foreign.

 -Shay