POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : IRTC participation shrinking? : Re: Turnabout is fair play. Server Time
3 Jul 2024 10:37:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Turnabout is fair play.
From: Shay
Date: 17 Apr 2003 10:32:11
Message: <3e9ebaeb$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] aolcom> wrote in message

| Jim Charter:
|  Your reactions to "Oranges" is intriquing on a couple of counts.
|  The image was originally inspired by a line from the Leonard
|  Cohen song "Suzanne".

I've never heard of Leonard Cohen, but I was curious enough to look up
the lyrics to the song. I didn't have to fish around to find these
comparisons. All of these lyrics are from the first few lines of the
song (the part dealing with the tea and oranges).

Song: Suzanne takes you down to her place near the river
Picture: The impression I get here is of a woman's invitation to a man

Song: And she feeds you tea and oranges
Picture: invitation to a man for a romantic Asian dinner

Song: You can spend the night beside her
Picture: the peeled orange suggesting an only partially veiled sexual
invitation.

Song: tea and oranges That come all the way from China
Picture: the man receiving the invitation will see an Asian dinner as
exotic
Picture: the obvious effort behind [the objects] being assembled shows
that the
owner of the objects is not (Asian).

'Intriguing' doesn't come close to covering it. The volume, and more
importantly, accuracy of information contained in this simple depiction
of tea and oranges is somewhat more than intriguing.

 -Shay