POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Orrery 2nd take : Re: Orrery 2nd take Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:33:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Orrery 2nd take
From: Bill Hails
Date: 16 Apr 2003 18:25:37
Message: <3e9dd861@news.povray.org>
Jet Jaguar wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 17:37:48 +0100, Bill Hails
> <bil### [at] europeyahoo-inccom> said:
>
>>Will W wrote:
>>
>>> Very, very good! I'm going after the larger size now: I'll use it as
>>> wallpaper.
>>
>>I'm flattered :-)
>>
>>> I like what you've done with paintings and the wallpaper.
>>>
>>> The order of the zodiac signs is right for an orrery [...]
>>
>>Thanks for clearing that up.
>
> Actually the symbols should progress in a counterclockwise manner,
> that's the way it was represented on all the orreries I used for
> reference for the one I made for the "Worlds Within Worlds" IRTC round
> (http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2002-02-28/orrery.jpg)

Hi, Yes, I found your picture while I was searching the web for
orreries. Very nice! I was almost going to hang it on
the wall in my pic, but thought that might be a bit cheeky :-)

> To read an orrery, the current sign (and month, if marked) is the one
> directly opposite the Earth.  That is, it's indicated by a line drawn
> from the Earth through the center of the Sun.  That's something I
> didn't find out until after it was submitted, and therefore my signs
> are rotated 180 degrees (D'oh!).

I've kind of decided to leave this one alone for a while, I've got what
I wanted out of it -- a lot of fun and a great learning exercise. I might
come back to it when I know more sdl and can make something more of it.

--
I would've gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for those pesky kids!