POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : IRTC participation shrinking? : Turnabout is fair play. Server Time
3 Jul 2024 11:06:30 EDT (-0400)
  Turnabout is fair play.
From: Shay
Date: 16 Apr 2003 17:10:28
Message: <3e9dc6c4@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] aolcom> wrote in message

Since you were so generous in taking the time to share your impression
of my picture, I will share my impression of some of yours.

_____Carson:
There is a real challenge when deciding how to portray an emotional
person in CG. The distinct divisions between objects makes CG more
literal than paint, and for most, even the best CG approximation is much
less literal than a photograph. This leaves a cg artist looking for a
way to show human emotion in some fashion between realism and cubism.
The face and pose of your character do portray emotion, but I think that
the effect could be increased by moving just a bit more towards
abstraction. This, of course, would sacrifice some of the identity of
your subject. Tough call.

_____Oranges:
My favorite of the group by far. The way in which the objects are placed
tells me that they are not in their usual positions. The objects are all
Asian, but the obvious effort behind their being assembled shows that
the owner of the objects is not. The impression I get here is of a woman
's invitation to a man for a romantic Asian dinner, the peeled orange
suggesting an only partially veiled sexual invitation. The tone and
again the obvious care behind the placing of the objects shows that the
man receiving the invitation will see an Asian dinner as exotic. A pot
roast would not be displayed this way.

The only thing distracting me (OK, bothering the Hell out of me) in this
picture is the cup's being partially out of frame. This element is too
natural for such an unnatural "composition."

_____Nocturne:
A very interesting perspective for a scene type picture, and it does
have mood. Personally, I would decrease the size of the opening, but
that's just me. There is a root right at the corner of the (pier?) which
is vertical enough and close enough to the corner to give the panel of
light to the left of the corner a window like appearance, which
contributes to the rest of the roots appearing somewhat like window
cracks. I find this to be a little distracting, but perhaps you are
pleased with that affect.

_____Shorebirds:
This very chaotic image would be better without the sea behind it. The
familiarity of the scene (birds over the ocean) distracts too much from
the effect that you wanted to achieve with this picture. Personally, I
would just place some type of strong pattern (perhaps even just a white
panel) behind the birds and allow the birds to act as an obfuscation of
that pattern.

_____St. Mark's Place:
The closest building on the left is very nice. I think that an
orthographic camera in front of that building with all of the staircases
and details would produce an excellent picture. Interestingly, there
were no abstract entries in the 'The City' round. Almost every entry
included some landmark or distinctive architectural style that revealed
the scene as "a city." In my opinion, the inner structure and activity
of an office building or skyscraper would be less specific and a better
representation of "the city." Of course, almost every IRTC topic is like
that.

 -Shay