POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Capriccio v.9 : Re: Capriccio v.9 Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:29:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Capriccio v.9
From: Will W
Date: 15 Apr 2003 13:48:25
Message: <3e9c45e9@news.povray.org>
Wait for them. They will show up.

Here's some info on what's going on:
http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/pngstatus.html#browsers

Part of the problem is that the MS web server, IIS, was written to serve
.png files as the wrong MIME type-- there is a post-installation fix but
there has not been much effort made by MS to get IIS users to install it. Of
course with Apache making steady inroads into the MS/IIS market, this issue
is going away (people with minimal tech skills are now using Apache for
their web server in preference to IIS-- partly because in doing so they
don't have to learn the arts of managing IIS patches).

As you can see, Amaya has had some limited support for png from day one, and
continues to improve it (since Amaya is used as a validator of W3C standards
by much of the web industry, this is more important than their small
installed base would make it seem). Mozilla has been steadily improving png
support and I see that it now has gamma correction support (Yippee! Note to
self: check browser configuration since last upgrade). Since the
Mozilla/Gecko engine is at the core of most non-MS browsers, this is
significant. Opera has some png support, I'm not sure how much. Since less
than half of one percent of my web site visitors use Opera, I've not been
tracking it. Rumors are that MSIE will provide good png support in the next
major release, probably next year.

I think this disucssion has wandered about as far off topic as is
reasonable. The original concern was what to do about gamma settings in a
joint project where several different people would be writing textures on
different machines with different system gammas. I think that discussion has
been satisfactorily concluded. There was an interesting sidebar about using
gamma settings to target a specific audience, and that developed into a
brief discussion about using gamma settings and file format choices to
assure that a future audience will see an image as the artist intended. I
really don't think there is much more useful ground to cover in this
direction.

--
Will Woodhull
Thornhenge, SW Oregon, USA