POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : IRTC participation shrinking? : Re: IRTC participation shrinking? Server Time
1 Jun 2024 08:29:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC participation shrinking?
From: Jim Charter
Date: 15 Apr 2003 13:46:53
Message: <3e9c458d@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:
> "Slashdolt" <jer### [at] questsoftwarecom> wrote in message
>
> Just natural progression. The bar has been raised, as Jim said, so more
> time is needed to complete an entry. There is also the fact that an
> objectively judged contest between all styles of raytracing is as
> impossible as an objectively judged contest between all styles of
> painting. For this reason, the competition has naturally settled into a
> style niche.

You've summed it up nicely

> I looked up Jim's Loneliness entry after his having mentioned it in
> another thread ( very nice, btw ) and got a laugh out of one of the
> comments. Jim's pic is a stylized, monochromatic portrait of an author.
> After seeing this, one viewers comment amounted to, "needs a
> background." I thought this was funny because so many people said the
> same think about my only entry. There are some elements and styles which
> certainly don't go over well in the IRTC. That's not a complaint. For
> anyone wishing to attempt a winning entry, the best situation is an
> "apples to apples" competition.

Yes you are right.  Why oh why do I struggle to break the same old mold?

> Also, as unpopular an idea as this may be, I think that a lot of
> enthusiasm is dampened by the missed deadlines for topic announcements
> and the posting of results. I know that the people running the
> competition are busy, but that does not change the fact that these types
> of delays give the impression that the organizers themselves are less
> than excited about the competition. For many who are only able to work
> on their entries on the weekends, an proportionately large amount of
> time can be lost due to even a small delay.

This never actually occurred to me but you might be right.  I always
took it as part of the charm, like a cafe where the service is scanty
but you can sit there all night.  But in this customer-service oriented
culture, it may very well be interpreted as you say.

-Jim