POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : IRTC participation shrinking? : Re: IRTC participation shrinking? Server Time
14 Jun 2024 20:29:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC participation shrinking?
From: Shay
Date: 15 Apr 2003 10:51:18
Message: <3e9c1c66@news.povray.org>
"Slashdolt" <jer### [at] questsoftwarecom> wrote in message
| Because I felt like it*, I decided to figure out if IRTC
| participation was growing or shrinking since its inception.
| It looks like it's shrinking.

Just natural progression. The bar has been raised, as Jim said, so more
time is needed to complete an entry. There is also the fact that an
objectively judged contest between all styles of raytracing is as
impossible as an objectively judged contest between all styles of
painting. For this reason, the competition has naturally settled into a
style niche.

I looked up Jim's Loneliness entry after his having mentioned it in
another thread ( very nice, btw ) and got a laugh out of one of the
comments. Jim's pic is a stylized, monochromatic portrait of an author.
After seeing this, one viewers comment amounted to, "needs a
background." I thought this was funny because so many people said the
same think about my only entry. There are some elements and styles which
certainly don't go over well in the IRTC. That's not a complaint. For
anyone wishing to attempt a winning entry, the best situation is an
"apples to apples" competition.

Also, as unpopular an idea as this may be, I think that a lot of
enthusiasm is dampened by the missed deadlines for topic announcements
and the posting of results. I know that the people running the
competition are busy, but that does not change the fact that these types
of delays give the impression that the organizers themselves are less
than excited about the competition. For many who are only able to work
on their entries on the weekends, an proportionately large amount of
time can be lost due to even a small delay.

 -Shay