POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Capriccio v.9 : Re: Capriccio v.9 Server Time
13 Aug 2024 19:23:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Capriccio v.9
From: Hughes, B
Date: 14 Apr 2003 19:26:43
Message: <3e9b43b3@news.povray.org>
"Gena" <obu### [at] mailcom> wrote in message
> Let's use assumed_gamma=1 and adjust Display_Gamma
> according to our monitors. Let's don't make any brightness
> decisions on JPEG images let's render it on your platform
> instead with your Display_Gamma settings.

I tend to leave assumed_gamma out. I should have learned enough about all
this by now but it's still a stumbling block for me. I'm not sure why it is
suggested, dare I say required, in every scene file made now. I'm all for
the value of 1.0 for new renders and the reasons behind it, but what stops
me all the time is that it has seemingly become a requirement and yet I
thought it was still just a suggestion. A person might expect their
Display_Gamma, set in the main povray.ini file, to be all that is needed.
Until, of course, a scene file is rendered from another computer and then
adjustments made to the gamma for that reason.

Anyway, this is always the subject of debate and yet it still goes on even
after the documentation tries to settle it once and for all. I don't see any
solution unless assumed_gamma becomes mandatory (error without it) and
people follow the advice given for its usage.

All that said, Christoph has shown it can be done, obviously. Looked fairly
good to me.

Sure hope someone is willing to mess with that jumble I put together for the
"facade" of the cathedral. It's starting to look quite repulsive now.  :-)
I don't seem to get much effort into this project these days... or any other
for that matter.