POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : IRTC participation shrinking? : Re: IRTC participation shrinking? Server Time
26 Jun 2024 13:54:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC participation shrinking?
From: Jim Charter
Date: 14 Apr 2003 14:06:46
Message: <3e9af8b6@news.povray.org>
Slashdolt wrote:
> Because I felt like it*, I decided to figure out if IRTC participation was
> growing or shrinking since its inception.  It looks like it's shrinking.
> :-(

That may not be a bad thing. The average quality seems higher.  Or at
least the bar for the front runners seems very high.  I know I have
improved my POV skills considerably over the four or so years that I
have participated yet I feel farther than ever from being competitive
with the front runners, even of yesteryear let alone currently.  I think
that knowing how much work it takes to submit a respectable entry, plus
rl difficulties has contributed to me not submitting for the last three
or four rounds.  Part of my interest in providing verbal feedback is to
help keep some momentum while I regroup on the rendering front.

> Maybe we just need some more interesting topics?  But since we get to vote,
> you'd figure we'd vote for the most interesting ones...

   Topics might have something to do with it, but really, I personally
don't commit to entering, or not, based souly on topic.  It used to be
about whether I could think of an interesting thing to challenge myself
with technically, and answer to the topic too.  Now it has more to do
with whether I have an idea that I want to devote that much effort to.
That would describe my last entry anyway, ( in the Loneliness round.)
Now I think that rl worries are probably having the keenest affect on my
creativity. I would have trouble entering in the near future no matter
how compelling the topic.

> Big Hit Topics from the past include:
> Loneliness (133)
> Sea (142)
> Imaginary Worlds (143)
> Water (158)
> Night (131)
> Magic (161)
> Glass (183)
> Science Fiction (222)

There seems to be something about irtc/pov that favours broad,
archetypical topics.  Other groups that run contests seem to come up
with topics which take more from popular culture.  They seem to cater to
a greater interest in commercial cg art among the participants.  As cg
becomes more popularized and as commercial tools become more prevalent
there may be a shift to these "sexier" forums.  It may be that the whole
phenomenon is attracting, particularily artist types, away from
irtc/pov, which seems to be of more interest to science types, who have
less interest in cg except as a hobby. Notice that "Science Fiction"
(222) happens to provide a crossover between pop culture and science
interests.

That is a further reason btw that I wanted to support Renderdogs
initiative to have further discussion of the entries, to generate a more
"artist friendly" atmosphere.  POV is a unique tool for artists, but
there may not be a broad ability to understand just why.