POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : taking stock : Re: taking stock Server Time
1 Jun 2024 09:05:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: taking stock
From: Carrie Ann and/or Shay
Date: 12 Apr 2003 00:10:46
Message: <3e9791c6$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] aolcom> wrote in message

> So everyone was having fun making meaningless model airplanes
> and I came  along stole it all by taking them seriously and imposing
> meaning?

Of course not. I guess my first sentence was a bit backwards. Let me try
again:

"I believe that he problem with participation has to do with the fact that
many of the entrants have put less thought into their images than you have
put into your comments, Jim. "

Yes. That is much clearer.

I don't think that I'm selling anyone short by comparing their scenes to
model airplanes. Hell, even some of the entries this round *were* virtual
model airplanes. I don't mean this as an insult, just an observation based
in large part on the contents of the text files accompanying the entries.

> Hey, the "Worlds within Worlds" topic was my suggestion!

That was a good topic which produced a lot of interesting entries in
addition to the winners.

> Isn't it possible that a discussion of the artisitic side of the entries
> might lead to better topic ideas being generated?

Perhaps. More likely, this discussion may encourage entrants to put more
thought into the ideas behind their entries within the scope of whatever
topic is selected.

> And if they find an
> idea about which they are passionate, and focus on it, and
> find some  creativity, wouldn't it be even more fun if myself
> or another comes  along and further validates it?

*IF*, then yes, but I feel that recognizing this passion *only* when it
exists is what provides validation. I have trouble accepting that many
entrants in this round were passionate at all about the themes of their
entries. This is not to say that they were not passionate about the
technical challenge of producing those entries.

I think that comments like yours and Rendergdog's do a lot to encourage
participation in the IRTC and to encourage people to improve their skills. I
think that what you are doing is a good thing and was in my original post
only reporting why others like myself may not have the motivation to do the
same.

 -Shay