POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Old Technology...Asynchronous Memory : Re: Old Technology...Asynchronous Memory Server Time
1 Jun 2024 06:35:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old Technology...Asynchronous Memory
From: Jim Charter
Date: 10 Apr 2003 11:31:38
Message: <3e958e5a@news.povray.org>
With its saturated atmosphere, strong use of silhouette, and dramatic
backlighting, this is a very emotive image.  It is more dreamscape than
realistic with flat terrain, and deep perspective, though the especially
believable sky gives pause. The dreamscape effect is reinforced with
sparse, but carefully rendered, background elements such as railway
tracks, telegraph poles, and a station house.  Again we have a marriage
of American scene with the fantastical to evoke nostalgia towards
technology.  Once again we have a sense of progress marked by the
obsolescence of the very technology that contributes to it.

centerpiece of the composition, is placed on the left where it is
backlit by the low sun and an enveloping haze.  The delicacy and spatial
accuracy of the model is accented with just a few highlights, which
occur around the edges. The intricate patterns of its silhouette are
echoed in its shadow, which stretches into the foreground.  A horse in a
very natural pose, with a compelling arch to its neck, and a
historically clothed figure are also silhouetted in the strong light and
fill out the context for the scene.