POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : slightly surreal IRTC wip : Re: slightly surreal IRTC wip Server Time
19 Jul 2024 15:28:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: slightly surreal IRTC wip
From: Tek
Date: 9 Apr 2003 16:42:23
Message: <3e9485af@news.povray.org>
"Tom A." <tar### [at] my-dejacom> wrote in message
news:3E9### [at] my-dejacom...
> Now maybe you can explain how you got such _smooth_ animation in about
> half a meg.  I created 500 frames of a spaceship flyby, and got a 3 M
> movie, and it speeds by so fast you can't see the details.
> (<http://www.geocities.com/meteoricshipyards/Jrny.mpg>
>
> That's always been a problem with my movies.

I know the feeling.

So, I'll try to run through everything I do when creating an animation:

Firstly pick a frame rate. I use 25 frames per second, so I set up my pov scene
so that everything moves by 1/25th of a second on each frame. It's kinda obvious
but in your animation it looks like it's going way too fast.

Secondly, render it!

Then I use the freeware version of TMPGenc to encode it: http://www.tmpgenc.com/

When encoding it you need to check a -lot- of settings:
    Make sure the dimensions of the animation match your frames (most encoders
will get this right).
    Set the frame rate to the one you want.
    Now choose the encoding settings...

I spent ages (well over 1 hour) trying out different compression settings, and
eventually settled on these ones. They're not great (the ship leaves a bit of a
trail against the sky), but it works okay. The setting I use is "Constant
Quality", with quality set to 50% and default settings for everything else.

I think that covers everything. If you're still having problems just ask :)

--
Tek
http://www.evilsuperbrain.com