POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Animation software : Re: Animation software Server Time
15 May 2024 22:04:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animation software
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 7 Apr 2003 15:30:23
Message: <3e91d1cf@news.povray.org>
In article <pan### [at] ntlworldcom> , "David Burnett"
<var### [at] ntlworldcom> wrote:

> The reason all this is happening is due to, for some reason best left to
> apple to explain, the quicktime moov header is in a resource fork.
> Persumably diff, being a unix command is unaware of such things. The 'ls'
> command shows the files to be the same size. I'm a command line junkie so
> didn't notice that according to finder there's a 4k difference.

No, that isn't correct.  Unless the program you use went through a painful
process of putting it there.  Or you use Qt 2.x or older.

What software is creating the movie file, and on what system and QuickTime
version?

> Apparently to solve this problem I have to buy QT Pro or equivalent and
> use the save as option to create a 'self contained movie'.

No, you don't.  All this "Pro"! option gives you is to do this from inside
the movie player.  however, every application can do it because it is a
standard QuickTime feature.  "QuickTime Pro" is just a clever trick on part
of Apple to sell several features in the movie player application.
nevertheless, the "Pro" upgrade also includes a few additional encoders
Apple has to license.

> I'm getting
> this second hand so that may be totally correct (can someone please
> comfirm this as I'm not in the habit of buying software to get
> functionality that might not be there) as it is I downloaded
> GraphicConverter and found the equivalent option.

Exactly, GraphicConverter always has this option.  As do many other
applications.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde