POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : orrery : Re: orrery Server Time
13 Aug 2024 09:36:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: orrery
From: Bill Hails
Date: 6 Apr 2003 16:31:18
Message: <3e908e96@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias v2.0 wrote:

> The planets look very smooth to me. Perhaps a bumpmap
> would improve this. If you'll take a look at my v2.0 Gallery,
> I've used a bumpmap for the moon, which makes it appear
> much more planet-like, to me at least. Since you're trying
> to depict a model, some exhagerated bumps on the planets
> won't harm. For a "real" planet, the bumps wouldn't be that
> visible, I guess.
> Also, the moon, Mars and Saturn look slighty too "soft" to me,
> not a shiny little highlight, but more a spread out, sort of
> silk-highlight.
>
> Aside of that, very nice!

Thanks!

I'd hoped the sun, at least, would make the case for these
*not* being models, but I suspect that it's reflection in
the table spoils the effect somewhat. I'm not using an area
light but I believe that only affects shadows anyway.

As I'm aiming towards making the planets and sun look
as "real" as possible, to contrast them with the mechanism,
I need to move further in that direction. Maybe dust and/or
scratches on the hardware might help, but it's such a nice
table :-)

I'm much less happy with the room itself, admittedly I've
not spent as much time on it as on the orrery itself.

--
I would've gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for those pesky kids!