POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : rendering the earth (71k+68k) : Re: rendering the earth (71k+68k) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 09:30:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rendering the earth (71k+68k)
From: Slime
Date: 2 Apr 2003 01:03:46
Message: <3e8a7d42$1@news.povray.org>
> That's what gradients are for.

That's not what I was referring to. The shadow of the earth would blacken
out the shadowed side, except for the part of the media that stuck out right
above the shadow line. So right on the edges there, there would be parts
illuminated that wouldn't be if the media were split completely in half.
It's hard to describe exactly what I'm talking about.

Of course, if you really want to be picky, there's also the issue of
scattering media self-shadowing, which would be extremely hard to model 100%
correctly without scattering media =)

But I was just trying to get your goat; I'm not really interested in
defending this =)

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]