POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Paths on Water (238kb MPG1) : Re: Paths on Water (238kb MPG1) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 15:28:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Paths on Water (238kb MPG1)
From: Andrew Coppin
Date: 1 Apr 2003 15:48:17
Message: <3e89fb11$1@news.povray.org>
> Oh come on! If I hadn't begun with some crappy include-files,
> I'd never have gotten where I am today. Besides, you can
> always ask for help in the newsgroups, and much can be
> learned when doing extensive googling.

Yeah... I found this paper by some bloke who apparently worked on the film
Skreik. It's a paper about the simulation of water using a combined
volumetric grid / particle system.

I have no idea what he's on about.

But hey, that's why I'm out here reinventing the wheel with this
particle-grid-thingy.

> About your simulation: you could always connect four corners
> via two triangles

Was already thinking about doing this... Might work better.

> Aside of that, you could still post an animation, and get advice
> and help on how to solve it.

Yeah, I guess... OK, I'll post it in a bit. (Once I figure out how to make
it small enough.)

> My first thought when hearing of the heavy oscilation: you might
> want to limit the distance a node may be moved.

Yeah, that could work... I think what I'll probably do is add some
disapative forces. Currently, there's no friction or drag or anything.
Systems like that tend to just accelerate and continually gain energy. I'm
not sure why. You might (possibly) remember my Chaos Pendulumn did the same
thing until I added fake air resistance (which is frame-rate dependent; have
to do better this time...)

>Forces easily interact and
> overreact.

Let me about it! LOL

> I've tried to create a cloth-simulation with POV once,
> and either the cloth moved too fast and oscillated heavily without
> ever coming to a rest, or I wasn't patient enough to wait for it to

A cloth simulation was actually what I originally had in mind with this
project, not water simulation. It's just that when I saw this thing
oscilating and the ripples spreading outwards, I thought I could somehow
make it into a water's surface. Should probably add some kind of force that
tries to push all particles back to the average "surface" level to do
that...

But anyways, I'll sort something out and post an animation shortly...

Thanks.
Andrew.