POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Paths on Water (238kb MPG1) : Re: Paths on Water (238kb MPG1) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 15:29:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Paths on Water (238kb MPG1)
From: Andrew Coppin
Date: 1 Apr 2003 14:42:21
Message: <3e89eb9d$1@news.povray.org>
> Thanks a lot!

No problem ;-)

> But would you mind posting the animation nontheless?
> I'm interested in what you did and how you did...

Hmm, well you don't know what I did, do ya? ;-)

But seriously... As I said, what I have isn't a water simulation by any
stretch of the imagination. It's just that it could eventually end up being
one. Maybe.

What I've actually got is a set of particles, linked together by elestic
strands. The strands themselves are massless, but the particles can have any
mass you like. So far I've made an animation that starts with a 2D grid of
particles, with the center one displaced. Then I let the forces of the
elastic do their thing. In this instance, they accelerate the center point
towards the others, and accelerate the immediate neighbors downwards towards
the displaced center. Currently the algorithm allows particles to pass
through each other.

What basically happens is that the whole grid goes into oscilation - with a
VERY short wavelength I might add. I suppose it's because I suddenly
displace just one point; would perhaps look better if I dragged a small
group of points up and down in a sineusiod motion and let the others follow.
I bet it STILL wouldn't look like ripples on water though. And I certainly
wouldn't know where to start if I wanted to render it as a surface rather
than a "wireframe". I suppose blobs might do it...

But anyway, it's naff compared to what you have.

But then, I guess I'm just a second-rate programmer and mathematition...

Thanks.
Andrew.