POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Paths on Water (238kb MPG1) : Re: Paths on Water (238kb MPG1) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 15:30:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Paths on Water (238kb MPG1)
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 1 Apr 2003 09:53:03
Message: <3e89a7cf@news.povray.org>
I'm using photons to get the proper caustics, though
I've noticed some problems when using them:
1. Shadows don't look good.
The center object casts a shadow onto the floor,
but the edges where the shadow meets the box
is all soft and blurry (due to the photon-spacing, I
guess). I'd have to use VERY high spacing to get
proper shadows.
2. Lighting passes through thin objects
If the hull of the target object (or the object onto which
the photons are dropped) isn't thick enough, the other
side gets lit as well. This is a known problem with
the technique, cause photons don't undergo the
parsing-intensive light-tracing.

--
Tim Nikias v2.0
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde