POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Things that went wrong. - ob01b.mpg (0/1) : Re: Things that went wrong. - ob01b.mpg (0/1) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 09:32:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Things that went wrong. - ob01b.mpg (0/1)
From: S McAvoy
Date: 29 Mar 2003 19:07:36
Message: <3e8634de.116124217@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 00:26:42 +0100, "Tim Nikias v2.0" <tim### [at] gmxde> wrote:

>Also used sqrt(2), but hard-coded .707, that's sufficient
>and faster than having the CPU calculate sqrt(2) all the
>time.

Yes it is, I set it as a constant so I can try different values.

>How do you read the pgm-file? I've got no experience
>with reading other files than those I've scripted myself.
>But using an image as a base, wouldn't that be a
>bit complicated if you'd want to set you're water surface
>different than on a horizontal plane? Also, if you have
>surrounding objects to block the waves, it would be
>difficult to match splashes with surrounding environment...
>
>BTW, how interactive is your system?

It's not interactive. I'm using this project to learn C++ so I shell out to my
programme to create a heightfield. I found that the parsing time in SDL was too
long. Your system looks much better. For this project I want to create waves
around a footstep of a walking figure so I want to have a large array/
heightfield. I export a mesh from Poser and import it into POV. I'm playing with
BVH motion files, see my post in moray.binaries (called Spinkick something). As
for reading pgm files, they are text files so they are simple to read using
fileio. One thing to point out is POV does not read comment lines as per the
file specs. I don't know what you mean about setting the water surface different
than on a horizontal plane. In my world water is level :-)
Blocking objects are not in scope but I have an idea or two using an overlay. As
they say on Mastermind I've started so I'll finish.

Regards
        Stephen