POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Things that went wrong. - ob01b.mpg (0/1) : Re: Things that went wrong. - ob01b.mpg (0/1) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 09:29:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Things that went wrong. - ob01b.mpg (0/1)
From: S McAvoy
Date: 29 Mar 2003 18:14:30
Message: <3e86262e.112363860@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 23:22:18 +0100, "Tim Nikias v2.0" <tim### [at] gmxde> wrote:

>Hm. As I stumbled upon this, Rune and Christoph had
>made some experiments, and gave me a push
>in the right direction:

Yes,I read the thread too.

>1. Smoothen with more than just the four neighbours,
>take the diagonal neighbours as well, but weight them
>a little less.

I used sqrt(2)

>2. The initial wave shouldn't be just a single point, I've
>found that using 9 nodes (with the center one being
>the highest) gives very pleasing results.

I started out using a different approach, for the initial array I've been
reading a graphic file (pgm) so I've painted a splash using a brush with a
hardness of 32 (Paint Shop Pro), same effect I think.
One thing I noticed was that there was a diamond shaped leading edge to the
wave. This disappeared when I made both initial arrays the same. I hope that is
clear.

Regards
        Stephen