POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Old Technology...Radio Graves : Re: Old Technology...Radio Graves Server Time
26 Sep 2024 19:26:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old Technology...Radio Graves
From: Jim Charter
Date: 28 Mar 2003 12:16:20
Message: <3e848364@news.povray.org>
Slashdolt wrote:

> I've had mixed feelings about the farm myself.

Don't, its importance to this image cannot be overestimated.  I also
grew up in a rural area and you have captured the feel very accurately,
especially a certain claustrophobia that standing corn can create.

> I spent countless hours working on the textures and finishes.

It shows.

  but I believe the
> wood texture was a granite and bozo texture stretched out to look like a
> wood grain.  Then I overlayed a stretched agate pattern on top of that, for
> the color variation.  I tried using the woods.inc, but eventually abandoned
> it, and made my own.  Some of them also had turbulence added.  Then I used,
> "warp {repeat 2*x flip <1,0,0> " to flip-flop the textures to look like wood
> veneer.

Interesting read how you did it, simple, but sophisticated.

A comment I disagree with is the one criticizing the prominence of the
fence against the sky.  On the contrary I think it is one of the great
contributing details of the scene.  Ultimately, one of the ways that the
juxtaposition of radios and gravestones works is as a kind of vanitas,
and the gothic points of that fence, undulating across the sky, form an
intermediate horizon, and a warning to the vain.  It frames the meaning
perfectly.

Speaking of gothic, one of the things I enjoyed most in this round was
the way in which the stylistic handling of the images might allude to
the period of the technology depicted.  It is exciting because it hints
at a maturation of cg beyond the imprisoning poles of mathematics at one
end and photography at the other.  This image plays on american gothic
traditions, underlaid by surrealism, which are rooted in the decades
just before and during the golden age of radio.  The synthesized
strangeness of the image: old radios looking like new, popping up as if
grave markers in a midwestern landscape, is intensified by the realism
and consistency of detail throughout.  The accurate description of
distant farm buildings ( suggesting the world of the present ) resonates
with the poignant, foreground detailing of radio cabinets past.

Another interesting theme that frequented the images of this round, was
the portrayal of technology whose medium was sound. Necessarily they are
rendered silent, not only by time, but by the fact that they can only be
pictured. This image heightens that reference beautifully with the
allusion to the selence of the cemetary.

In these ways this picture made use of expressive means that the topic
brought out in competing artists also, but its startling concept takes
it to another level.

-Jim