POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : To DiVX authors: compression settings ? : Re: To DiVX authors: compression settings ? Server Time
19 Jul 2024 09:30:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: To DiVX authors: compression settings ?
From: Peter Hertel
Date: 27 Mar 2003 17:26:28
Message: <3e837a94@news.povray.org>
> i) have universal and long-lasting appeal,    or
There'll always come better, faster and smaller compression. But since
DivX has gone onto this commercial thingy, I think it will keep up for
quite a while.
I think DivX will stay around for a while, just like MP3.

> ii) would it be like a combination of the  "gotcha-patenting" of the
GIF
> format or the "what were you thinking" of the "Beta" videocassette
format ?
I don't like the DivX-Pro Adware solution, and it might get a bit more
painful in the future. But XviD lacks a common standard, so it'll be a
bit hard to overthrow DivX. Or am I completely mistaken here? I've had
big problems installing the correct codecs for viewing XviD movies,
whereas the DivX is easy to set up..

-Peter