POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Old Technology...Radio Graves : Re: Old Technology...Radio Graves Server Time
14 Jun 2024 22:18:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old Technology...Radio Graves
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 27 Mar 2003 10:59:34
Message: <3e831fe6@news.povray.org>
Slashdolt hammered this:
> Other thoughts...
> Overall, I tried to do this without using things like Poser, X-frog,
> pre-built models etc.  Probably because I don't own any of those things.
;-)
> But more to the point, since I don't own those things, I wanted to show
> what's possible using just POV-Ray, and a few other simple, mostly free
> tools.  I think some of the scoring may have taken that into account, but
> that's just my feeling.

Thats how I approach most of my images as well. Some things just cannot
be done with pure POV, like modelling realistic people. Programs like
Poser are fine for that. And for excellent plants, X-Frog is a path to
choose,
though nice gardens have been made without it.
For me, it takes the awe when I look at an image, and then see that it has
been done with X-Frog, Poser, Maya along with Mental Ray, and perhaps
Realwave or such. Unless the image has been composited very professionally,
like Gilles' "Not for sale anymore", I end up thinking that using THOSE
programs, something better could have been achieved very easily. That might
not be true, those programs aren't easy to handle, but when I see a pure
POV-image opposed to one made with the conventional $$$-programs, I
just keep thinking that most of the features are accessible with a click.

My Worldbowl image for the IRTC had been such an adventure, modelling and
texturing everything with pure POV, and its fun and a great learning
experience.

And as a little extra, I don't have to keep thinking that perhaps some day
someone might want to sue me, because I made an image with an illegal
copy of Maya. I've got an old Poser (hm. wanted to give thanks to the POVer
who sent it to me, but due to my recent System Crash, I can't find out...
Speak up, whoever it was! :-), and some programming skills (though I'm only
scripting in pure POV, its much more platform-independant that way :-)
and those two (and in most of the cases, only the last one) have made all
my images possible.

And "Gerberas"... No X-Frog used there. Not even one external program
used, actually.

POV-Ray rocks, baby! ;-)

--
Tim Nikias v2.0