POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : free modeler/renderer : Re: free modeler/renderer Server Time
13 Aug 2024 19:22:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: free modeler/renderer
From: Les Popow
Date: 18 Mar 2003 15:11:50
Message: <3e777d86@news.povray.org>
"The Grand Adept of Evil Sex Magic" <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in
message news:3E7773D1.6749FAC8@hotmail.com...
> AArDvarK wrote:
> >
> > Anyone know why the Amiga system died?
> > I've seen so much about it on the 'net over
> > the years, people loved it.
>
> They were the opposite of Microsoft:  Good technology, but no
> business sense.
>
> Regards,
> John

I got one of the first Amigas to be brought into Toronto, after
being on a waiting list for a couple of months.
When it came out, one of the newspapers interviewed the
president of a consulting firm (I think their name was Encore)
whose purpose was to set up computing environments for
businesses.

His response was (I'm paraphrasing):

"There is no use for colour in business, and multitasking
is just a toy."

That's the reason the Amiga died. People in positions of
authority, with no imagination. At that time, if IBM
didn't do it, it wasn't necessary. Do you remember the
hoopla when the IBM PC finally did colour. It was
heralded as a great advance in computing.