POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: [WIP?] Orbital Welcome Party ;-) (62kb) - orbital_povnews.jpg [0/2] : Re: [WIP?] Orbital Welcome Party ;-) (62kb) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:31:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [WIP?] Orbital Welcome Party ;-) (62kb)
From: Lutz-Peter Hooge
Date: 14 Mar 2003 20:09:21
Message: <3e727d41$1@news.povray.org>
Renderdog <slo### [at] hiwaaynet> wrote:
> Nice image, I like the painted earth, the spacecraft, and the overall
> layout.

Thanks

> The beam seems a little too solid, maybe try media.

It is media, but you're right, it looks a bit too solid.

> The stars are a little dim.

Stars? Where did you see stars? I didn't put them in...

> Maybe a bit more fade at the planet's atmosphere edge.

The athmosphere already has (approximated) exponention (e^-x) falloff,
AFAIK that is realistic. Making it fade more, would mean to make it
overall thicker, too thick IMHO.

> The red rectangles on the spacecraft look a little too saturated, and the
> angled torus shapes seem oddly shaded, lit on both sides.

Those 'red rectangles' should something like windows, I agree that they
need work.
I just didn't have a better idea for texturing them when I made the
spacecraft and since I originally planned to motion-blur the one in the
front, details wouldn't have been so visible anyway.

> What is the vertical venting from the center of the spacecraft? Maybe you
> could add particles like that shooting out from the explosion.

They are supposed to be some kind of antenna-arrays or something. It just
felt like there should be some thingy in the middle.

> I can't tell which direction the spacecraft are going, maybe thrusters or
> more clearly defined head and tail, or something to hint at thier
> direction?

They're supposed to fly towards the camera but IMHO direction isn't
really important.

Thanks for your comment!

Lutz-Peter