POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Booster test (245k mpeg 1) : Re: Booster test (245k mpeg 1) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 09:23:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Booster test (245k mpeg 1)
From: Tek
Date: 12 Mar 2003 11:16:08
Message: <3e6f5d48$1@news.povray.org>
"Renderdog" <slo### [at] hiwaaynet> wrote:
> Awesome! Even better than the still, which is a rare feat. The thruster
> fades look really good. Sounds like you did a good amount of work on the
> inverse kinematic thruster logic, and it works well in this short clip.

Thank you :)

> I notice the white circle-windows have a different finish and seem to
light
> up a bit more than the surface, which is a nice effect, but they're dark
> when not lit.

Well, they actually don't have a different finish :) They're going to need
one if they're ever to look right, so I'll add it soon.

> Do you have an idea of how this vehicle will be used in an IRTC entry? It
> would be nice to see it in a three dimensional environment, such as a city
> or a huge space station, so we can see it manuever around obstacles and
> show interesting lighting effects.

Check out my earlier post to this group. Subject: "Teleportation, IRTC wip".
I also have an animation of that early version of the ship dodging an
asteroid, but you'll have to wait until the final irtc entry to see that :)

> A rather sad thought/idea: the craft approaches and lands in an alien city
> with buildings like beautiful flowers, which wither and brown as the
> nuclear thrusters brush them. I'm sure that would only take a year or two
> to render!

Well the thrusters aren't the focus of the animation, they're a subtlety.
The main subject is the ship's other engine, a teleportation drive that
repeatedly jumps the craft to random points in the universe, until it gets
near enough to it's intended destination to switch to it's thrusters.

Thanks for the comments! :)
--
Tek
http://www.evilsuperbrain.com