POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Re: Somebody Help Me... : Re: Somebody Help Me... Server Time
19 May 2024 12:24:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Somebody Help Me...
From: RJay
Date: 4 Mar 2003 17:10:38
Message: <3e65245e$1@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> Well, you could also say Mac OS X breaks all GUI conventions intelligent
> people at Apple spend decades to refine.  You should not only look at the
> CPU time wasting effects Mac OS X brings, but also the millions of bugs and
> things it breaks.  From the useless window layering to the dock.  Nothing
> works.  Hardly better than Windos in the end.  And it needs more memory than
> Windos already <sigh>  But of course, under the current leadership at Apple
> a consistent and easy to use user interface is no longer a topic at all.
> Just look at Safari's non-standard appearance...

I have to (mostly) agree with Thorsten here. Whether you like OS X's
interface or not, it and the iApps break many of the guidelines
originally set out by the Apple Human Interface group. While Steve Jobs
has undeniably done many good things for Apple since his return,
sometimes, it seems he wants to emphasize "style" over "substance" too
much. It's true, some people just want to whine because OS X is
different than what they've been used to, but many people have also
raised a lot of legitimate concerns with the direction the Mac gui is
taking.

RJay

"There is a fantasy in Redmond that Microsoft products are innovative,
but this is based entirely on a peculiar confusion of the words
"innovative" and "successful." Microsoft products are successful -- they
make a lot of money -- but that doesn't make them innovative, or even
particularly good."
-- Robert X. Cringley