POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Re: Somebody Help Me... : Re: Somebody Help Me... Server Time
7 May 2024 01:00:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Somebody Help Me...
From: Ian J  Burgmyer
Date: 28 Feb 2003 23:21:51
Message: <3e60355f$1@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff's furious key-hammering produced this:
>> Think that'll work?  My problem sounds...eh...kind of strange. :)
>
> The problems are due to the Mac-specific parts of the code, MacMegaPOV
> has completely different code for this. The official version often
> refuses to use all available processor time (though I haven't seen it as
> bad as you describe...for me it usually only leaves 20-30% idle).

I *did* have iTunes playing a CD in the background (I hid it and forgot about
it, so that might have something to do with the severity of the problem).  I
used top to get the resultes, btw.

> MegaPOV doesn't have this problem.

Oh, okay...I'll have to download that tomorrow, then.

I thought my problem with OS 9.2 was odd (clicking "render" doesn't seem to do
much of anything, telling it to stop freezes POV), but it looks like switching
preempitive threading on will fix that.  Eh, I might just get MacMegaPOV
instead.  That'll be much easier. ;)

> The official version also breaks a few Mac OS X UI conventions, such as
> putting the working Quit item in the wrong menu (and having a
> non-working Quit item in its place)

Oh yeah, isn't the working Quit item in the "File" menu rather than the
application's menu?  I didn't use MacPOV much, but this confused me when I first
saw it.

--
/*^*/light_source{100*<-5,2,-5>2}#macro I(i,n)#while(strlen(i)>=n)#local A=asc(
substr(i,n,1));#local a=asc(substr(i,n+1,1));cylinder{<div(A,8)-12,mod(A,8)-4,4
/*<*/)I("mkmtlttk"1)//@_$#!,:<"Thhis polysig brought to you by Ian Burgmyer :)"