POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Care to have a seat? (25kb) : Re: Care to have a seat? (25kb) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:23:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Care to have a seat? (25kb)
From: Ian J  Burgmyer
Date: 19 Feb 2003 18:52:10
Message: <3e5418aa@news.povray.org>
"Peter Hertel" <peter@*REMOVE*hertel.no> wrote in message
news:3e533019@news.povray.org...
> > #declare ManySpots = union {
> >  object { SpotLite translate<0.0,0.0,0.0> }
> >  object { SpotLite translate<0.0,0.0,0.0> }
> >  object { SpotLite translate<-0.25,-0.1,-0.25> }
> >  object { SpotLite translate<-0.25,-0.1,0.25> }
> >  object { SpotLite translate<0.25,-0.1,-0.25> }
> >  object { SpotLite translate<0.25,-0.1,0.25> }
> > }
>
> I frankly can't se the big difference between your setup and area
> lights :)

Yeah, that's true.

> Try using a 2x2 area light (4 lights) perhaps?

Heh...that would mean I'd have to *re-render* it. ;)

I didn't really think area lights would give the effect that I wanted, but
while I was coding my latest image, Abstractified, I noticed that area
lights allow you to use them as spotlights.  Very handy!  I'll probably redo
the lighting with this image -- that was the only thing I wasn't too pleased
with.

I might also add some focal blur.  I did a basic post-process blur on the
distant chair and it really improved the look IMO.

> You can soften the outer shadow like A.D.B. mentioned, but the shadows
> under the chairs you must use several lights, either like you do it
> now, or with area lights.

I'll see what I can do with spotlights, but I might end up switching to area
lights.  I've found that they're the easiest to get nice results with.

> Or, come to think of it, you can use focal blur too :)

That's always an option. :)

> The image looks great btw!

Thanks!

> May i suggest making the light cone a little
> larger at the top? Right now it looks like the light comes from a very
> small source.

The image was highly conceptual to me (it was inspired by the
povray.off-topic wars that are currently going on) and the only real purpose
for the light is to allow the viewer to see the chairs.

-Ian