POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Out of reach : Re: Out of reach [crop attachment 13 KB] Server Time
14 Aug 2024 01:19:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Out of reach [crop attachment 13 KB]
From: Lance Birch
Date: 15 Feb 2003 07:54:59
Message: <3e4e38a3@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <run### [at] runevisioncom> wrote in message
> Lance Birch wrote:
> > There's only one problem I can see with the image:
> > there's a little ghost happening from where your image
> > has been placed... you probably really need to do
> > another map to make the areas that are transparent,
> > also void of any diffuse and specular/phong highlight
> > values - that should eliminate the problem completely
> > (though it's hardly visible anyway).
>
> I'm not sure I understand this. I probably should know, but what exactly
> does ghost mean in this context? And how is it related to diffuse and
> highlights?

I've brightened part of the image so that you can see it.  It runs along the
entire image, so I assumed that it was the image you placed in, or... maybe
it isn't.  If it is, then the diffuse and highlights are what's causing it.
Even if the area is transparent, if it has any diffuse or specular finish
value, the light shining on it will make it show up lightly (just like the
highlight on glass).  If the image was simply post processed in, then I
don't know what would have caused it (perhaps not having a completely dense
mask).

> Oh, but I didn't need this, as the floor I was standing on had a
> tile-like pattern, and the mirror had vertical edges. Plenty of
> information to determine the exact perspective. The trouble was placing

Ah, well then, definitely no points required :)

> the camera in the POV-Ray scene in a way so that the perspective in the
> POV-Ray image would match exactly that in the photo. I had to fiddle not
> only with location, look_at and angle, but also with skewing of the
> camera (done with a matrix). Having so many camera variables to adjust
> is the tricky part.

Ah... I've been spoilt by interactive GUIs :)  MAX can actually do all of
that for you, too (open up the camera matcher and it'll work out all of the
camera's properties for you - then you can use the motion/camera tracker).

> > giving it a dark blue cast (or dark blue but only in
> > the lower end, i.e. raise the blue channel values but
> > only for the blues below 30 - this will give the
> > entire image a cool deep blue cast, which would
> > contrast well with the heart's hot colour).
>
> I'll try that. I think it'll work well. Thanks of the suggestion.

No problem :)  Anyway, it looks good how it is, but it's always worth
playing around with different things (unfortunately I get in to the trap of
playing with an image forever and never finishing it, heh).

Lance.

thezone.firewave.com.au
www.firewave.com.au

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'OutOfReach_ghosting.jpg' (14 KB)

Preview of image 'OutOfReach_ghosting.jpg'
OutOfReach_ghosting.jpg