POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : MechSim Bouncing Ball ... (Divx 5 AVI, 470K) : Re: MechSim Bouncing Ball ... (Divx 5 AVI, 470K) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 09:24:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MechSim Bouncing Ball ... (Divx 5 AVI, 470K)
From: Michael Andrews
Date: 14 Feb 2003 10:33:08
Message: <3e4d0c34$1@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> Nice.  I already considered adding a macro for such a shape to mechsim.inc
> but i did not have the time yet.  It would probably look better if you
> only display a sphere with large radius at the position of the center
> mass...

Hi Christoph,

The first attempts at this had much lower stiffness, so the ball
distorted considerably when it bounced. This animation was done close to
the edge of instability with the highest stiffness I could get away with
for a reasonable time step.

While I have you on the line (well, sort of :-) could you clarify
something for me. I originally created the scene with all the object
sizes ten times bigger. When I reduced the sizes (to give a one meter
diameter ball) I had to reduce the stiffness as well to get a stable
system. Is this an expected behaviour, that connection and environmental
stiffness and damping are size related? Are there any rules-of-thumb
that can help determine what values will give stable systems at
different scales? Just curious more than anything, a little
experimentation gets me reasonable deformations.

Bye for now,
	Mike.