POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Your model of an existing image. What to do...? : Re: Your model of an existing image. What to do...? Server Time
14 Jun 2024 20:43:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Your model of an existing image. What to do...?
From: Slashdolt
Date: 11 Feb 2003 08:38:00
Message: <3e48fcb8$1@news.povray.org>
>    Heh, ok, maybe I should have explained a little more. I'm only
> using an image as a reference guide of the 'Old Technology' modelled,
> I haven't modelled the whole scene that's depicted in the image.
>
>    So, do I give a link to that image, so that the judges can see what
> my model 'should' look like, or do I leave them thinking that my model
> is the bees-knees?  ;)

I have several models in my IRTC entry that are modelled from various
sources on the Internet.  I used lots of photographs as a reference, but I'm
not planning to list them.  I just plan to state the fact.  Actually, I'm
not even sure where I gathered all of the photos from anymore, since many of
them were from Google's image search, and sometimes I'd be working with 2 or
3 different photos from different sources.  Another reason, is that my
models are not "perfect".  Some details were left out and/or changed simply
because they would have been more difficult to render in POV.  I assume that
everyone does that, but why give the judges an exact photo so that they can
say, "Hmmm...  Your model doesn't include the widget on the left side which
I see in this picture, but would have otherwise never known about..."

I happened to find a nice texture resource, which is actually a web-retailer
site with pictures of their products, that just happened to make excellent
textures.  I emailed the site owner, and asked for permission to use the
textures.  I had a feeling that he'd have no idea what I was talking about,
but he was actually very helpful and agreed to let me use the textures.  For
my project, it was quite a find.  I'm not sure I could have duplicated the
nice textures by hand without them looking really bad.  I plan to put a link
to his site, and I'll probably send him a link to view my final render.

--
Slash