POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Media effects... (Worldbowl 2003 WIP) : Re: Media effects... (Worldbowl 2003 WIP) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:28:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media effects... (Worldbowl 2003 WIP)
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 11 Feb 2003 04:58:05
Message: <3e48c92d$1@news.povray.org>
Hm. No, I didn't use media_attenuation, but I just tried
it with using it, and to be honest, I see no significant change,
other than tracing slower. I wasn't sure what to expect though,
after all, I'm using scattering media, which absorbs light, so
how should there be much difference? I don't understand the
keyword really, at least not what it implies on using with media
(I do get it if its required for fog), other than doing something which
the media already does itself: swallow some light.

About your shell-idea: I think that'll result with some strange
shadows: where parts of the shell overlap (shadow-wise speaking),
the shadow will be really dark, but when passing right through the
middle of such a bubble, it will be brighter than the shadowrim.
When I have the time, I'll fiddle with it, but I thank for realism's sake
I should stick with the approach I'm using right now. I've gotten used
to it, at least in this image.

But I'll experiment with it using a sphere, scattering media etc, just to
see the effect.

Regards,
Tim

--