POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Media effects... (Worldbowl 2003 WIP) : Re: Media effects... (Worldbowl 2003 WIP) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:26:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media effects... (Worldbowl 2003 WIP)
From: St
Date: 10 Feb 2003 16:16:21
Message: <3e4816a5@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias" <tim### [at] gmxde> wrote in message
> Thanks for the praise! But I don't get what you're
> trying to tell me with
> "maybe birds, some dark, and some light, (to reflect that
> moon or lamp)".
> Do you mean dark and light birds in terms of color, or
> something entirely different (like dark birds, but something
> smaller which also sheds light into the worldbowl, like a house
> with glowing windows or such)?

      Sorry, thought you might have got it. Birds have an irridescence
in/on their feathers, so if you had some very small birds in there
fluttering(?!) around, some of them would reflect light and some
wouldn't, depending on their angle to the light-source. Although, some
birds don't have to be small, they could be quite large (in a
WorldBowl sort of way)  ;) as in closer to the viewer, and with flying
birds, you only have to do a small V or M shape... I think it would
work.

> The problem about the objects that might be put into the
> worldbowl is the scale. For one, the scale inside is just
> extreme, if you look at the snow-covered peaks of the
> mountains, an actual aeroplane would probably be only
> about two or maximum of 3 pixels large.
> Perhaps I'll have to change the scale of the mountains,
> especially their steepness and the texturing, to get a smaller
> scale, and then create some huts or such...
> I kinda like the idea of some small campfire with a little
> smoketrail (media, of course). Though its broad daylight inside
> the bowl... Hm. Got to give it some more thought.

     Yes, I understand, and nice idea. Basically, all I'm saying is
that something should be added that associates a little more with a
'World' as we know it imo (if that's what you're after), and this is
limitless... I thought about a 'plane, but yes, probably too small to
recognise, whereas I can just see a small ship in the sea with a
smoking funnel... (bigger than a plane in real terms of course).

   A volcano in the far distance might work too... Just some ideas.
It's looking good. :)

   ~Steve~