POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Media effects... (Worldbowl 2003 WIP) : Re: Media effects... (Worldbowl 2003 WIP) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:30:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media effects... (Worldbowl 2003 WIP)
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 10 Feb 2003 15:21:00
Message: <3e4809ac@news.povray.org>
> This has been a very neat project to watch.
Thanks.

> Have you used media_attenuation in the light source?
Sure, how else would media interact with lights? But actually,
its the other way round: those lightsources that shouldn't
affect the bowl have media-attenuation off
(which works quiet well even with the moonlight, cause
the outside clouds are still stacked-planes, wanted to keep
some tradition in the image).

> I'm thinking your only other chance to refine those cloud shadows is to
> sharpen the boundary line of density that goes from high rgb to low (or
> none). Which could mean using an element in the density map which is very
> thick and surround that with the regular entries but very near to it. I
> couldn't say if that will really look okay or not, just an idea.

It already is a pretty sharp contrast going from no density (rgb 0) to
some density (rgb something), as I actually wanted to have the
clouds look a little brushed out. I'm thinking about given them
some shearing effect, to simulate some sort of wind.
Also, I've noticed I could raise absorption and emission some more,
which would enhance the shadowing effect some more. I don't want
true sharp shadowlines, but a little more effect might be nice.

--
Tim Nikias
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde