POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Media effects... (Worldbowl 2003 WIP) : Media effects... (Worldbowl 2003 WIP) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:25:51 EDT (-0400)
  Media effects... (Worldbowl 2003 WIP)
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 9 Feb 2003 18:42:03
Message: <3e46e74b@news.povray.org>
So, after I modified the clouds inside the worldbowl to
be made of media-density (which resulted in a need to
combine atmospherical effects and clouds into one
container to work properly), I've found that the nice shadow-
lines the clouds leave in the atmosphere disappeared...

Obviously, the scattering media of the clouds behaved
differently than the stacked-discs-method I used before,
so I kept wondering how I might darken the shadows, but
keep the clouds with the same brightness...

Its the first time I actually use all three media-types,
scattering for the obvious scattering, absorption to make
them appear more dense and to kill light inside the
clouds, and emission to brighten them up after the absorption
swallowed tons of light.

I guess I could go for even more contrast with shadows
in the atmosphere, but to exagerate wouldn't be my style. I'm
still pondering about a little more or less absorption, and the
brightness of the clouds, but I'm satisfied that I achieved
what I intended. Learned a lot about media this way...

Anyways, enjoy!

--
Tim Nikias
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde