POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : newbie first attempt : newbie first attempt Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:31:06 EDT (-0400)
  newbie first attempt
From: Bill Hails
Date: 9 Feb 2003 09:29:25
Message: <3e466504@news.povray.org>
This is my first big povray project, so be gentle with me :-)

It took me about five weeks of evenings and weekends, mostly because
I am learning as I go.

It's also a blatant cheat in two ways.  Firstly the "set design" is't
mine, it's a direct copy of a drawing from one of the "Sandman" comic
books "The Friendly Ones" If I knew the artist's name I would credit
him.  Secondly it's actually a composite of two povray images, the night
sky was done separately an then merged with the throne room using the
Gimp (a Unix Photoshop equivalent) but I honestly don't think there was
any way to achieve the same effect with just povray alone.
The stained glass windows were also drawn separately using xfig (a Unix
CAD package).

Things I think worthy of note: The trig to do the stairs. Sphere sweeping
arrays of spheres to simulate a curving prism sweep for the window frames.
Use of random blobs to generate the "statues" (The original had classic
greek-style marble nudes but I have neither the time nor the talent to
attempt that yet).

--
Gee batman, is there *anything* you don't understand?
Yes Robin, several things.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'sandman1.png' (503 KB)