POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : >1600 radiosity samples: right costheta distribution? : Re: >1600 radiosity samples: right costheta distribution? Server Time
4 Oct 2024 23:14:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: >1600 radiosity samples: right costheta distribution?
From: T J Viking
Date: 6 Feb 2003 08:34:01
Message: <3e426449$1@news.povray.org>
> >> How about allowing only some fixed count numbers
> >   That sounds more like a kludge than a solution. :)
>
> but why :) ? I realy doubt if someone will see difference beetween
> 1043 and 1044 conut...

Ive done such tables in my renderer, storing normal coordinates in float format (not
the double).

Made tables from 4 (4x4) to 32 (32x32) [ as you can see Ive iterated through N
generating NxN samples) and it occupies much less
space

Tabulated ray directions were calculated by computer simulated annealing.
A few variants of distributions: uniform, pure cosine and a few variants of
degenerated BRDFs.
Each variant occupies something like 140KB for full series of samples 4x4, 5x5,...
32x32.

Samples were distributed perfectly, leaving some place to add some noise ("perfect"
Poisson discs).

There is really no need for having tables for 4,5,6,7,8.....4096 samples, just because
from Monte Carlo theorem of reconstruction  2-times increase in samples lowers the
noise sqrt(2).