POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : SISRay : SISRay Server Time
13 Aug 2024 19:29:45 EDT (-0400)
  SISRay
From: Batronyx
Date: 1 Feb 2003 21:43:36
Message: <3e3c85d8@news.povray.org>
This is an idea I've been working on ( off and on ) since September 2001.
It's a single image stereogram done with a pigment function. The formulas are
derived from the SISgen technical page:
    http://www.techmind.org/stereo/stech.html
by W.A. Steer, Ph.D..

This image came out ok, but I've discovered other depthmaps haven't worked out
so well. The problem seems to be in using the full 0-1 range of the grayscale
image. It causes the perspective to be overly exaggerated and where the white
parts compress so much it throws you out of the image. I've just about worked
out how to compensate for it, but it introduces another problem in the middle
where the function changes directions. I haven't figured out where to adjust for
that yet. I'll post the code to p.b.s.f if anyone's interested. I'm sure it
could use many other optimizations as well.

A couple of interesting points about it as is now though. You can choose to
render at any arbitrary render size and it will maintain a constant eye
separation. Also, with one tiny change you can make cross-eyed versions! I've
never seen those before done in this style. I'll post an example as a reply here
and a small version of the depthmap used for those who have trouble making these
things out.
--
light_source{0,1}#macro c(J,a)sphere{0,1pigment{rgb z}scale a translate J+O}
#end#macro B(R,V,O)c(0,4)intersection{c(V,R)difference{c(-z*4x+10)c(-z*4.1x+

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'SIS800x600CenterTest.jpg' (190 KB)

Preview of image 'SIS800x600CenterTest.jpg'
SIS800x600CenterTest.jpg