POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Mechism Problems : Re: Mechism Problems Server Time
19 Jul 2024 11:34:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mechism Problems
From: Andrew
Date: 1 Feb 2003 19:49:00
Message: <3e3c6afc$1@news.povray.org>
I have another question to add here.  I intend to make quite a large
number of dominoes, but it seems that the calculations will become
prohibitively complicated.  The best I can do to reduce this is to form
two groups of dominoes, domino number n being in group number mod(n,2).
But this still means that each mass will be tested against half of the
total number - obviously very inefficient in this case where only the
neighbouring dominoes matter.  Is there any better way of doing this?

If not, then perhaps a feature request would be in order:  Allow each
group to specify which other groups it interacts with, as opposed to
interacting with every other group but itself (in collision mode 2).  I
don't know whether this would be a trivial modification, though I
suspect it would already be a feature if it were :)  But it sure would
be useful for scenes like this, although I think I've picked a
near-worst-case-scenario here.