POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Some radiosity issues : Re: Some radiosity issues Server Time
13 Aug 2024 19:29:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some radiosity issues
From: cadman
Date: 1 Feb 2003 09:14:28
Message: <3e3bd644@news.povray.org>
I've found that in architectural-type images it works better to increase the
minimum_reuse and the count, and decrease the error_bound.  Also, increasing
the recursion_limit will increase the brightness a little bit.

I found this to work okay for my last scene:
     pretrace_start 1
     pretrace_end   0.01
     count 600
     nearest_count 5
     error_bound 0.25
     recursion_limit 5
     low_error_factor .5
     gray_threshold 0.0
     minimum_reuse 0.05
     brightness 1
     adc_bailout 0.01/1

"Peter Hertel" <peter@hertel**NOSPAM**.no> wrote in message
> Hi all!
> I'm having some problems with getting radiosity to look good in my current
> IRTC project.
> I've attatched three pictures
> bathroom07_small_original.jpg is how it came out from POV-Ray
> bahtroom07_gamma.jpg is gamma correceted to se the detais
> bahtroom07_target.jpg is an gamma / brightness / contrast altered image,
and
> is somewhat what I aim for.
>
> I tried using two lights, and it looked better, but you couldn't even spot
> the light beam from the door, and that is an important part of the scene.
> I'll model seperate tiles for the walls and sink, any tips for a good,
clean
> ceramic texture?
>
> I use the following rad settings: (uses Jaimes save/load trick)
>
> global_settings{
>  assumed_gamma 1.0
>  ambient_light 0.0
>  #if (R)
>
> iosity{
> // indoor quick settings from rad_def.inc
>     #if(R_Save)
>           pretrace_start 0.08
>           pretrace_end   0.01
>           count 50+100
>           nearest_count 5+15
>           error_bound 0.5-0.25
>           recursion_limit 2
>           low_error_factor 0.8
>           gray_threshold 0
>           minimum_reuse 0.015
>           brightness 1.0+1.5
>           adc_bailout 0.01/2
>           save_file "bathroom.main.radiosity"
>     #else
>         // load settings
>         pretrace_start 1 pretrace_end 1
>         load_file "bathroom.main.radiosity"
>         error_bound 0.5    // it's important to specify the same value
used to save data
>         recursion_limit 2  // also the same if specified
>         always_sample off  // no more samples: specially useful with focal
blur
>     #end
>  }
>  #end
> }
>
> The rad is collected in 320x240 res with dummy objects and no finishes
(~45min). And then rendered in 1280x1024 (~1hour)