POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP Boat03 (102 Kb) : RE: WIP Boat03 (102 Kb) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 21:26:46 EDT (-0400)
  RE: WIP Boat03 (102 Kb)
From: Txemi Jendrix
Date: 26 Jan 2003 17:03:14
Message: <3e345b22$1@news.povray.org>

3e33651b$1@news.povray.org...
> The boat is great.  The horse makes a great "maidenhead".

Thank you very much.

> One thing, though.
> Isn't it going to be rather hard to turn the paddles?  The
> mechanical advantage (disadvantage?) of trying to turn the tiny paddle
> sprocket with the large crank sprocket against the water resistance
created
> by the paddles themselves....

Sure, but I've only followed Leonardo's instructions....
AFAIK this boat with paddles was never built, it appears in
the "Windsor folios", though there is another version more
complex (mechanically talking) in the "Codex Atlanticus".
Leonardo had great ideas but the only energy he could
count with was human strength so I suppose all these
machines (including flying ones) failed in their purpose.
But, as with other machines, it's amazing to see something
that was thought in XV century and that look so modern.
A good mix if old & new technology, I believe.
Bye.

Txemi Jendrix
http://www.txemijendrix.com