POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Asteroid field : Re: Asteroid field Server Time
13 Aug 2024 21:25:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Asteroid field
From: Tek
Date: 26 Jan 2003 10:04:09
Message: <3e33f8e9@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias <tim### [at] gmxde> wrote in message
> > Another thing to get it realistic is how they move, especially the small
> > ones. Asteroids often spin, how do you plan to simulate this with a
> > procedular texture?
>
> Just commenting at that last sentence of yours:
> Why not simply rotate the object AFTER the texture has been applied?
> The texture will rotate with the object.
> This isn't meant to be some scolding, but I am curios how you came
> up with that idea?

Well I animated them last night, and they're animated by rotating the objects.

However, I think Peter was probably referring to the more distant asteroids
which are just a procedural texture on the sky_sphere. In my test render these
are not spinning, but you don't notice it because of all the motion in the
foreground.

--
Tek
http://www.evilsuperbrain.com