POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Asteroid field : Re: Asteroid field Server Time
13 Aug 2024 21:24:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Asteroid field
From: Peter Hertel
Date: 26 Jan 2003 04:45:32
Message: <3e33ae3c@news.povray.org>
> The asteroids are created using 2 seperate effects:
> - The nearby asteroids are a mesh object created in Wings3d, with an agate
> normal map. There's only a hundred of these high detail ones, and probably
only
> about 30 of them can be seen in this shot.
> - The distant ones are part of the sky sphere, and are drawn using a
slightly
> complex texture based on the crackle pigment. They appear lit because
their
> colouring uses
> Anyway, the reason for my post is I want to know if this looks right to
you.
> Does it look like an asteroid field? Is it realistic or movie-style? (I'm
not
> sure how real ones compare to the ones I've seen in Star Wars!) Does nasa
have
> any photos? I couldn't find any good reference.

It looks great!
The ones far away are a bit smooth compared to the larger ones. But you
might not notice that in the movie because you are going to use a smaller
resolution, right?
Maybe some craters on the big ones would look cool? IIRC most of the
asteroids I've seen (mostly in movies) has a lot of them.
Another thing to get it realistic is how they move, especially the small
ones. Asteroids often spin, how do you plan to simulate this with a
procedular texture?

-Peter