POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Asteroid field : Re: Asteroid field Server Time
13 Aug 2024 21:17:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Asteroid field
From: Tek
Date: 25 Jan 2003 18:06:47
Message: <3e331887@news.povray.org>
Johannes Dahlstrom <sad### [at] tkukoulufi> wrote in message
> Very nice, but I'm not so sure about the colors, perhaps they should be
> grayer? Also, I think that "in a real thing" the size distribution would be
> something like "inverse-exponential" ie. there are much much more small
> rocks than big ones. About realism, this is obviously movie-style. Real
> asteroid fiels (well, the one around Sol anyway ;) are actually very
> boring. Ours is so sparse that chances of seeing, much less hitting, an
> asteroid during a voyage through the belt are very slim. Probably nothing
> worth seeing comes even within 10 000 kms distance of the spacecraft.

Well I've been looking online for some reference photos. The colour I picked, by
sheer chance, is almost identical to some asteroids in Star Wars! :) But yeah I
think they look too colourful.

Good suggestion about the size distribution, I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks
--
Tek
http://www.evilsuperbrain.com