POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Asteroid field : Asteroid field Server Time
13 Aug 2024 21:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  Asteroid field
From: Tek
Date: 25 Jan 2003 17:00:18
Message: <3e3308f2@news.povray.org>
Hi!

I've been trying to make a fast rendering asteroid field for the irtc animation
I'm working on (see my post on p.b.a). Anyway, I just came up with this and I'm
pleased with the result.

It rendered at 640x360 in 50 seconds on my pIII 550. Which is pretty fast!

The asteroids are created using 2 seperate effects:
- The nearby asteroids are a mesh object created in Wings3d, with an agate
normal map. There's only a hundred of these high detail ones, and probably only
about 30 of them can be seen in this shot.
- The distant ones are part of the sky sphere, and are drawn using a slightly
complex texture based on the crackle pigment. They appear lit because their
colouring uses

Anyway, the reason for my post is I want to know if this looks right to you.
Does it look like an asteroid field? Is it realistic or movie-style? (I'm not
sure how real ones compare to the ones I've seen in Star Wars!) Does nasa have
any photos? I couldn't find any good reference.

Cheers
--
Tek
http://www.evilsuperbrain.com