POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : Copyright infringements? : Re: Copyright infringements? Server Time
28 May 2024 07:40:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Copyright infringements?
From: simian
Date: 20 Jan 2003 22:25:09
Message: <3e2cbd95@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 22:06:23 -0500, Francois Labreque wrote:

> Program ended abnormally on 1/20/03 8:56 AM, Due to a catastrophic argus
> error:
>
> [some snippage]
>

>> You are the one making the accusation, John. Make your case. Provide
>> some facts.
>
> Here are the facts:
>
> 1 - This is why the rules say:
>
> [ quote from http://www.irtc.org/copy.html ]
>
>     THE STANDARD RAY TRACING COMPETITION COPYRIGHT (oct97 version)
>     ----------------------------------------------

>     Ownership
>     ---------
>           The uploaded files are the original work of the entrant, who
>     retains all copyright and ownership rights.
>
>          The entrant represents that, except for any public domain code,
>     the entrant is the sole creator of, and owns all rights to, the
>     submitted work.
>
> [end quote]
>
> Therefore, any entry that uses material whose copyright is not owned by
> the creator of said entry does not conform to the rules of the IRTC and
> can be dropped by the admins.

	Therefore ..... of course. As the belowmentioned entries have not been
dropped it is presumed they have determined there is no copyright issue
in regard to the competition for those entries.

> 2 - The songs:
>
> 2harps.mpg:  "Prelude" by Clyde of Triumph. (c)1990.  Possibly in the
> public domain.
>
> amc.mpg:  "Magdalena" by A Perfect Circle.  (c)2001.  Definitely not in
> the public domain.
>
> ferrari.mpg:  Possibly "Opus Four 4", definitely by The Art of Noise.
> (c)1990.  Also not in the public domain.
>
> maal_asf.mpg:  The author makes absolutely no mention of the songs he
> sampled, but I could recognize part of the "Mission: Impossible" theme
> by U2.  Still not in the public domain.
>
> etc...

	Music is code?

> Even if, in the animations mentioned above, the authors had received a
> written permission from the legal owners of the music excerpts, it would
> not make them the "legal owners" of those copyrights.  Therefore those
> entries do not conform to the rules of the competition and the admins
> should remove them.

>> What have you done other than  point a finger, make an unfounded
>> accusation and attempt to sway other's votes?
>
> I do not think John was trying to sway the others' vote, but in the
> past, giving low scores has always been the preferred method of
> "punishing" rule violators.

	It is not clear rules have been violated. Rather it appears the rules
overlooked something they feel to be important to the CD publication.
Again, that is separate from the rules.

	As for tradition, reading past comments suggests some downgrading but
not 1,1,1.