POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : Copyright infringements? : Re: Copyright infringements? Server Time
19 May 2024 05:15:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Copyright infringements?
From: simian
Date: 20 Jan 2003 22:11:16
Message: <3e2cba54@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:00:33 -0500, Lance Birch wrote:

> "Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message
>>   My point (and I believe the original one as well) is that this is not
>> about accusing anyone of anything. This is about the IRTC team taking
>> the *risk* of a possible lawsuit because they are distributing
>> copyrighted material in their website.
>
> Yes, that was my original concern.  It appears everyone else thinks I
> was talking about voting though - I obviously wasn't clear enough with
> my original post.  I was short on time and wanted to get something on
> here before I had to leave, otherwise I probably would have forgotten
> about it by the time I was able to get access to my computer again.
>
> This isn't about votes for me (I only mentioned that I was planning on
> voting in my second post, as I've never had the chance to vote before -
> it's unrelated to this issue), it's about whether the material should be
> there or not.

The issue is the voting not the CD-ROM. If the team is uncomfortable with
including it on the CD-ROM, don't. If there is a complaint about what is
on the website, remove it and the copyright owner has no further recourse.

That has nothing to do with scoring the entries. No place does it say all
entries must be suitable for CD-ROM distribution.

In fact the copyright mention in the rules clearly refers to models and
not to any other content.

There is also the issue of fair use.