POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : Copyright infringements? : Re: Copyright infringements? Server Time
6 May 2024 19:13:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Copyright infringements?
From: argus
Date: 20 Jan 2003 08:28:21
Message: <3e2bf975@news.povray.org>
"Mark Wagner" <mar### [at] gtenet> wrote in message
news:pan### [at] gtenet...
> On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 20:03:31 -0500, argus quoth:
>

> > "Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message
> >
> > Who's copyright?
> > This is the IRTC, eh? Not the AmericanRTC.
> >
> > The point is that what may be protected in the USA is public domain in
> > the rest of the world.
> >
> > Other points:
>
> > 3. It is, and always will be, the prerogative of the admin team to
> > modify, enhance, change or otherwise express the rules of the IRTC.
> > There is nothing, at present, that addresses the use of copyrighted
> > music other than to suggest it is an unnecessary and likely ignored
> > unrequired part of an entry.
>
> The rules seem quite clear on this.  Animations rules section 3 part d:
>
> >> You may use objects and textures downloaded from the internet or
> >> purchased commercially, but it is not encouraged. Similarly you may use
> >> other people's images as image-maps or textures within your own work.
> >> In all cases, you must get permission from the creator of the object or
> >> image. If you use such objects or images, you must make this known with
> >> proper acknowledgments in the text file accompanying your submission.
> >> You may not violate copyrights of any sort.
>
> That last sentence seems quite explicit to me.

Explicit on the surface, but if someone raises the question about copyright,
then how does any reasonable person determine the issue? Is it acceptable
to just assume violation and assign a <1,1,1> and encourage all voters
to do the same?

Making an accusation and proceeding blindly to punishment is not
acceptable. Those who have a penchant for assuming guilt before
sufficiently informing themselves of any available facts need to
rexamine their attitudes.

I tried to point out that the reality of copyright violation is not a simple
matter and raising the issue should only have been done AFTER

1. maybe asking the entrant if they had permission
2. determining if the used work may or may not be in the public
domain according to the entrants home laws

and several other points.

IANAL and all that, but I think an attempt to deal reasonably with
unfounded accusations of copyright violation should involve more
than merely accepting someone's blind finger-pointing and attempt
to influence a vote.

Copyright violation is not a simple subject and we owe it to ourselves
to not deal with the subject in a ham handed and oblivious manner.